Pages

Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Summer Learning Journey Day 1 Activity 3 Week 1


Watch this short video of a Waka Ama race. On your blog tell us whether you would like to be in a Waka Ama race one day. Why or why not?
               

Waka Ama ( war canoes )
Waka Ama racing is when teams race in canoes. They used these canoes in wars at the Bay of Islands.  They called them war canoes.  They use them in special events . Did you know that Waka Ama racing started in 1981 and has been a annual  event untill know. 


No, I would prefer not to because I can not swim.  

2 comments:

  1. Hello Nickaela!

    Another awesome blog post! Go you!! Thank you so much for sharing such interesting information about the waka! I had no idea they were used as war canoes! I wonder what that would have been like. I would be petrified!!

    So I can give you full points for this activity, can you tell me a little bit about whether you would like to be in a Waka Ama race one day? Why or why not?

    Keep up the great work Nickaela! Loving the photos you include, it helps your blog stand out. Ka pai!

    Cadence :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nickaela
    Great job on completing this activity, I like how you included the fact about how they are war canoes. Do you think that they would have been used to raid enemy pa secretly at night because of their stealthiness?

    ReplyDelete